Listed in Other Countries
- 117 Jacob St. E. P.O. Box 101, Tavistock Ontario, Canada N0B 2R0
- 519 718-0630
- [email protected]
Our Initial Vision
About 8 years ago, my partner, Cheri and I had a vision to grow our own pesticide free produce in our own vegetable plot. Our goal was to improve our health and wellbeing by developing a vegetable garden that would have the capacity to produce enough healthy vegetables that would meet our yearly consumption needs. It was paramount that we do this in a cost effective manner and that it would be sensitive to the environment and easily sustainable.
Eight years later this has proven to be an incredible journey of successes, challenges (yes failures) and needless to say learning. We saw the transformation of our backyard vegetable plot from an initial 20’ x 20’ garden, to a diverse 36’ x 42’ garden of vegetable delight. This journey has taken us from fighting with soil (clay), blight, weeds, using conventional garden practices (did I say weeds?); to integrating raised bed garden boxes; to discovering the functionality and beauty of trellises, to the discovery 1.5 years ago of a gardening method that would transform our garden and helped us to meet our original goals. Yes, that method is Straw Bale Gardening. My only regret is that I did not discover Straw Bale Gardening 8 years ago.
Armed with Joel Karsten’s bible, Straw Bale Gardens Complete, we are transforming how we grow our vegetables, herbs and yes, even flowers. Our journey and learning continues as we add an efficient drip watering system to our garden in 2017. This will be our 2nd year of growing all our own plants from seeds, and we will be incorporating vermicomposting and compost tea to feed our plants, fruit and soil (natural fertilizing and renewal).
Sharing Our Learning
I am honoured to become a member of Joel Karsten’s champions. As a Straw Bale Instructor and a gardening advocate I am looking forward to assisting and mentoring new and seasoned gardeners discover the benefits of Straw Bale Gardening. I am available to speak to groups and associations, and to assist youth and schools to discover how integrating the principles of Straw Bale Gardening impacts on ones overall wellbeing and understanding of healthy foods.
Bio – Background
• I am currently semi-retired
• I’m a ukulele & guitar coach – mainly I guide students (on-line – FaceTime / Skype / Texts / Emails etc), helping them (adults & youth) to navigate many of the resources that exist on the world web and how they can enhance their discovery. (I do have a few face to face students).
• As a self taught Artist, I accept commissioned work for portraits, turning individuals meaningful photographs into drawings / paintings – pencil, pen, watercolour pencil, and watercolours. I also use pottery as a medium (Cheri is a potter). I draw and carve on pottery.
• I have the privilege of being mentored by friends who have decades of experience growing strawberries and building a local CSA program (Community Shared Agriculture)
• My Professional background was in the Not for Profit sector – mainly designing, running and managing mentoring services and programs for youth / and education programs (parent training) for adults.
If I can be of assistance – or If you would like further Information you can reach me at:
519 718-0630 Cell